Sunday, October 31, 2010

How To Save A Life

What a terrible, terrible morning and I've never felt more useless in my life.

The weather in Phnom Penh had changed drastically, and "winter" is here. This has rendered the water in the swimming pool - icy cold and swimming in it, whilst sure to wake you up, feels like a thousand knives slicing through your skin. But being the masochistic freak that I am, swam in it, I did - yet again, this morning.

I saw this lady coming into the pool as well. I knew her - as in, knew her to be a member of the gym and also knew her to be somewhat, "not well" in the head. I heard she's not "stable" - but I've always admired her for being rather regular at the gym (even though she doesn't really know how to use any of the machines) - after all, it takes discipline.  The water was so bloody cold, I was fully concentrated on keeping my breathing even and my body moving so that I do not freeze over.

The next thing I knew - some guy was dragging her out of the pool and another guy was running towards the pool. I got out of the water and ran over to see that this lady had .... drowned. Very unfortunately, nobody knew first aid. Not even the gym staff (Welcome To Cambodia). One of the gym members tried to administer CPR on her. She had turned blue on her lips and finger nails.  

Amidst the hoo-ha and everything, I did manage to instruct the gym staff to call the ambulance - surprise, surprise, they never thought to do so and instead - they called the lady's son. We all tried to keep her warm and I could only stand by in shock and cursing myself for not having noticed her earlier. "Please don't die, please don't die," I silently prayed.

She did finally develop a slight pulse, but she hadn't woke up - even until she was bundled into her son's car. I pray for her. I hope she's ok. And I'm really sorry I couldn't do anything about it. My only first aid training had been in school - when I was with the Rangers and the PBSM. I had not felt so useless in my entire life, standing by, watching helplessly and not being able to do anything about it.

Life, as they say, is fragile.
And it certainly would help to learn at least - the basics of First Aid administration, don't you think?
This has gotta go onto one of my Top 10 Things To Do ASAP list.

3 comments:

Salina said...

Eileen, it gives me food for thought. Where would we learn to do it here?
Maybe one of the things we should do is offer a course for students and employees on how to save a life..

dolphintales said...

I'm pretty sure in Malaysia - there's lots of places one can learn First Aid Basics...

khengster said...

i'm with you there, sista. gracefully serendipitous that you were there when this happened :)