Friday, October 16, 2009

Today, I Fed A Street Kid

Today is Diwali, or at least I think it is. Or was it yesterday? In any case, not that we celebrate the Festival of Lights, but MoH who is a lover of Indian food wanted to have a "Diwali Feast" in celebration. So, for brunch, we headed to Maharajah (which was actually the second choice since Annam was not opened yet at 10am).

While we were placing our orders of Thali sets and Chapatis, a young Cambodian boy came in begging and repeated the word "ngiam" (eat). I stared at him. He wore a dirty oversized T-shirt and his pants were two sizes too small. He was coughing and sniffling. But he had a silver pendant of a Cross and also one of those army dog-tags.

I tried to ignore him, telling myself that if he can afford to wear silver pendants and the likes, he should be alright. But it was quite hard considering he was standing right next to me. Finally, I relented. I asked him what would he like to eat. He said he wanted "bai char" (fried rice). So I ordered a "bai char muon" (chicken fried rice) for him.

When our food came, and it was too much, I felt extremely guilty. Of course, usually when we are not able to finish food we ordered, we pack them home to be eaten as leftovers. But somehow, with the little Cambodian boy sitting on the next table staring at us, I felt extremely guilty. This then grew into a bit of anger-cum-frustration. I am not rich. I don't waste food. Why should I be feeling guilty about enjoying an Indian breakfast brunch?

The Cambodian boy however, oblivious to what was going on inside my head ate his fried rice in glee. The smile that he offered as he ate was warm. Kinda felt like my "Chewing Gum Boy" short-story all over again. Yet, there was an anger inside me brewing. I was angry that in this day and time, there are still hungry people out there. That there are still the poor and the homeless scrounging for a decent meal. Why? Why? Why? Why aren't the people with the big cahoonas Lexus or Hummer doing more about it? I am after all, only riding pillion on MoH's sorry-state of a Daelim "moto". I wanted so much for poverty and hunger to end right at that very moment.

Today, I fed a street kid. He smiled at me and said Thank You, in English. I do not know his name. He had moved on to the next person who will feed him. And I moved on to do groceries shopping.

Did I make a difference?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yes ! you are, E

Unknown said...

YOU made a difference to THAT STREET KID. :)

Kris said...

Every good deed makes a mark, no matter how small.

Unknown said...

It doe make a difference! the kid crossed path with you for a reason...you've probably learned something from him too. And, you give him hope. There are still kindness in this world!