Thursday, October 29, 2009

Skype Virgins

This whole internet craze for Twitters, Facebook and what-nots have been... just that - crazy. But, you know what - it has been really great too. From out of nowhere, I am connected again with people I've lost since childhood. Admittedly, I am a Facebook addict. When you start thinking in terms of status messages - you're a junkie. But hey - we're in the ad industry. Whatever keeps us sane, alright?

Anyway, it was via Facebook that I connected again with some of my ex-colleagues from Batey Ads. I mean, there was a whole hiatus of maybe 8 or 9 years in between, but connected we got. And since I started becoming DJ E on FB (when people ask me who am I kidding - my answer is "why, myself, of course!" - I've always wanted to be a DJ!)... and I "spin" MVs and requests and shout-outs, our friendship has certainly started picking momentum.

Sure, it doesn't get personal... but we'd get excited at an 80's track that we were all so familiar with, or some Chinese serial drama soundtrack (don't hide, Lambs - it's YOU I'm referring to) and we'd totally banter back and forth for over a hundred threads. Whatever it is, what I hope is via the 80s flashbacks, the music and the so-called DJ-ing, friendships are being renewed. Again, it is all about keeping ourselves entertained AND importantly - SANE from the crazy jobs that we all do.

Anyway, the few of us from Batey used to be called the AA-ers - short for Alcoholic Anonymous where a day of work isn't complete without a trip to the nearest pub (The Place y'all!!) for our favourite poison AND bitching session, of course. Everyday was a drink fest as far as I could remember. Now that we have reconnected again, we decided to have an AA-ers get-together. Well, since I am in Cambodia, I would have to be skyped-in, wouldn't I?

Ok - I use the phrase "Oh, skype me in!" like it is so damn cool. Like it is something I do every other week. But I've only used the webcam on my laptop twice in my whole life (once with my parents and once yesterday during the AWP Turns 1 Party) and that wasn't on Skype. That was on MSN.

Seeing that the AA-ers session would be this Saturday, Lambs and I decided to try out our Skype programmes so that we can figure how to do a group thing since a few others might get in on the get-together via Skype too. And guess what? We found out that we were both Skype virgins!!! It was all too hilarious and writing about it isn't quite as funny. But try, I would. We were both at our offices, he in Malaysia and I being in Cambodia,... and we were in the chat box. Here's how the chat conversation went (well, sort of) :

kahlye : hey! There is a green button at the top left that says Group Call... !

fu55yboy : I can't see any green buttons! What group call?

kahlye : Hmmm.... maybe you're using an older version of Skype.

fu55yboy : Yes. I downloaded this a while back but never used it!

kahlye : fu55yboy??? Everytime I see your nick, it makes me laugh!!

fu55yboy : Ok. Ok. I ran out of creative ideas!

fu55yboy : Try it! Try it! Try the Group Call thingy.

kahlye : ok. ok. I'm trying. (clicks on the green group call button - which Lamb couldn't find but he answers the call immediately)

fu55yboy : hello? hello? (whispers into computer - I faintly here him, and I could here him typing away too)

kahlye : can you hear me? (whispers into computer)

fu55yboy : my colleagues are looking at me funny!

kahlye : mine too! I can hear you typing!

fu55yboy : I can hear myself typing too! Hahahahahahhaa!

kahlye : This is too hilarious!! I've never used Skype before!!

fu55yboy : Me too! I have the programme but never used it!

kahlye : Me too!! Oh, this is too funny!!
Hey - what is Jule's Skype nick?

fu55yboy : I dunno. Probably luv3lygal or something like that.
(later, Jules updated on FB that she doesn't have a Skype account)

fu55yboy : She doesn't have a Skype account

kahlye : OMG! We are all Skype virgins!!

And that's how it came about - Skype Virgins. It was extra hilarious because we were both trying to keep straight faces due to our office environment, while that entire chat was happening, although we wanted to burst out and roll on the floor with laughter.

So now, I am really excited about the Skype session on Saturday with the AA-ers. With the virgins, you never know, we could have a Part 2 to this blog. But at least that would be in the privacy of our own homes.

Lambs!! Look at what I found!! Great memories, good times ;)

No comments: