Friday, August 16, 2013

Life in Myanmar : Stressful Apartment Fiasco

Moving again. Downright pain-in-the-arse
Mingalabar...... and greetings from very wet Yangon!Of late, most of the expats in Myanmar are feeling a bit beaten down by the damp weather and the escalating cost of rentals. I feel compelled to share my story about my arse-luck with apartments in Yangon.

Last December, we've had to move from our first apartment as the landlord sold it and wouldn't renew our contract. Since MOH and I really liked Yankin Township, we persisted in finding a suitable apartment in this area. We found one very quickly. The landlords were great - BEFORE the full year's rental was paid. It was "Oh, don't worry, any problem at all, big or small, just email me or speak to my son." They live in Singapore and naively, we thought - well, they reside overseas and they must surely be exposed to what it took to be proper landlords. How wrong. Once the full year's rental was paid..... it was literally like we had a new landlord! Despite being promised the "highest quality" at the cheapest price (we got the apartment at 5 lakhs for 2 BRs), this seemingly new apartment was plagued with building problems right from the get-go. We lived with it all anyway - electrical fused box which ... well, fused. Electric points which did not work, doors that were falling off the hinges, piping issues, ..... We fixed it all ourselves because "any problem is not our problem. You are tenant, it is your problem." Ok. And it doesn't help that the landlord did not live in Myanmar and when they did come back, they proclaimed themselves to be "foreigners" and as such, weren't able to help us. Anyway, the rain came and ever since then, we've literally had to deal with indoor waterfalls and wading pool. Nevermind the alien mould-infestation,.... I mean, the water was seeping through the walls, for crying out loud! I had never before stayed in a building that was so badly built! I sent numerous SOS to the landlord to fix the issue. He handed us over to the "contractor" which later turned out to be "just a friend" not a contractor, who hired some goons off God-knows-where to fix things. I swear to you, they came, they made a terrible, terrible mess, removing every single grill in the house and then decided they couldn't fix the sunshades from indoors. I mean.... OMG. They left and the leaks never went away. I have really good photos of the indoor floods and waterfalls - which I kept sending to the landlord. His "contractor friend", after awhile, decided not to answer anymore of our frantic phone calls and even had the cheek to tell the landlord we didn't allow the workers to go into the apartment, as such, cannot fix things. Long story short - my last email asking the landlord to please consider fixing it through a contractor that we have found and if he does fix it, we would extend our rental contract. His response was a "Get out of my apartment now."

MOH, the 'Tiger', of course, is not going down without a fight. We want our refund. This landlord had said to deal with everything via our agent because "it is the agent who brought you to my house and therefore he should be responsible". We haven't seen any money as of right now. Nevermind the fact that the landlord keeps reminding us about the "2 week free stay present" he gave us (we moved in 2 weeks ahead of contract period, you see). I had left out the parts where the landlord's wife and daughter pissed off our agent big time one night and also accused my husband of trying to break down the door to her apartment to rape her. OMFG. (When they are back from Singapore, they live in the unit downstairs.). As far as I am concerned, this place is not suitable for renting until it is fixed really good or when the owners learn how to be responsible landlords (a bit of a fat hopes, but still...one can hope). Even the tenant downstairs, who is local says the landlord is "crazy" ... really now.

So.... our hunt for another apartment began. The ridiculous cost of rentals is by far.... unbelievable. We did find one which we liked and managed to negotiate it down to 6.3 lakhs. On the day when we were supposed to sign the contract, the owner called to say someone is willing to pay a higher price for it and she had signed the contract with said person. Later, the agent told me the other tenant outbid me at 10 lakhs. How far this is true, I cannot verify, but if that idiot really did this, I'm just going to say - OMFG. It was already ridiculous enough at 6 lakhs. 10 lakhs??? What gives?? As you may well know by now, apartment-hunting on a tight budget is a real pain in the arse. I mean, yes, my husband works with HTC and I do part-time consultancy work for City Mart but it doesn't necessarily translate to big-fat-paycheck, if you know what I mean. Part of what we earn goes towards supporting 200 over kids from 3 different homes which we volunteer at here in YG. I'm not saying we're angels, but we try and hubby and I have no kids, therefore have different aspirations. If I spent 10 lakhs for an apartment, that could mean having less money to support these kids (and I do get help from friends back home who support my efforts for these kids but there are so many of them!!)
Nevertheless, we moved on in our quest to look for another apartment. Together with an agent, we found one - also in the Yankin area (yes, I do love this area). The owner asked for 5.5 lakhs. He must think we're in New York.... :P My dear agent managed to negotiate it down for me to 4 lakhs - but on the condition that we fixed in everything ourselves - grills, sunshades, A/C, etc...... it was literally an empty unit, no flooring, not even light bulbs. When this was all confirmed, I was teaching a class (I also teach event management for free to a group of under-privileged kids) and I literally had to stop the class, run all the way to the apartment to pay my deposit just in case some fellow outbids me again. So, after the sign-off on the deposit, I thought - ok - time to celebrate! 4 lakhs was still too much to pay for 800 sq ft, but - ahhh... nevermind. Previously, in Cambodia, we were paying a bit less than that for a bigger unit, absolutely fully-furnished with the most adorable landlady ever and I do miss Madame!!. But hell, I'm not in Cambodia now, and I know that.

Anyway, yesterday being a day where we had to pay up the 1 year rent, some drama ensued. When I got to the tea shop (the landlord owns a tea shop as well as 6 other apartment units), he was shouting at my agent. The owner's agent hustled us to another corner of the tea shop and then explained the situation to me. The owner was now refusing to rent unless I also installed parquet flooring for his unit. (We were all ready to live with concrete flooring!!). I mean - what the hell, right? My agent told him it's not in the deposit contract that we are to install the flooring (which led to the shouting). I asked if anyone could read English - and turns out, the owner's brother could. I wrote a note, pleading with the owner to please show me some kindness as I wasn't here to rob or steal from the people of Myanmar. I'm not a rich foreigner with hardship posting fee attached to my pay-package and I'm helping his people! While the owner and his brother was in the discussion, I had contemplated to forgo the rent all together and leave with my deposit - except I found out that work had already started on the grills at the new apartment. *slaps forehead*.

The decision came back that the owner wants me to leave behind the A/C units when I leave the apartment IF I didn't install the parquet floors. What the hell, right? I smell the greed so strongly, I wanted to puke. The agents were all at it. Even the owner's agent stood on my side, requesting for the owner to honour the contract. In the end, I was so fed-up, so stressed out.... in a fashionably meltdown manner :P, I asked if the owners were really poor, because if they were really poor, I would donate the parquet flooring to them but that would mean 200 kids wouldn't have food for awhile and the karma's on the owner. The brother, he shook my hand and said done deal, no need A/C, no need parquet flooring. All is ok and I can pay-up.

And so.... I got the apartment. I'm going to forget this bad start. But then again, I would remember the kindness of the agents - mine and the owner's - all locals, who stood by me and held my hands. The owner's agent even gave me her number and said that she lives in the same apartment block and if I ever needed any help, just give her a call.

As for my agent - she's actually the girlfriend of our driver - Ti Lone. They had both been so wonderful in helping us sort out our living arrangements. They were going to do it for us at no cost, no fee whatsoever too, but we decided to pay her the 1 month's customary agent fee anyway. She knew my limitations and she fought very hard for me. When she negotiated with some of the other apartment owners' agents to not collect the commission (I really cannot for the life of me figure out how this works).... they were not happy as to why she as a local, was helping a foreigner "disrupt their income" and to this, she replied "she is helping our people, so I help her!" Not only that - for the agent fee she is getting, she said her services would include helping me organize all the fixtures required before I move in (hence the very quick work-start on the damn grills!!). Fingers and toes crossed for a smooth move next week. But I also hope Thaw Thaw would have every success as an agent because she is definitely offering services that no other agents offer. For those who do not follow me on FB, Thaw Thaw also volunteers with me.

Such is my apartment luck in Myanmar. But one or two greedy owners or agents do not make everyone in this country bad or out-to-get-you. There are my Burmese brothers and sisters out there who have got my back too. Just as how Ti Lone, our driver held my hand and comforted me when I broke down in tears fighting for my rent with the greedy owner. For that, I am thankful.

Myanmar really has her charms, but definitely has her moments as well. ("feeble optics", anyone?? :P) We will just try our best to wade through them all. At the end of the day, we just need to know we're in someone else's country. Let's do good by them.

Till the next time around!

No comments: