Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Life in Myanmar : 1 Year & Still Loving It...!


Thank You Myanmar :)
Mingalabar!!

Can you believe it? It’s been one whole year since I first moved to Yangon, Myanmar. I’ve waged wars on mold, I’ve battled the excruciating heat with some water-splashing fun in between that, I’ve enjoyed the cold and now we’re going into another rainy season. I’ve got my dehumidifiers and my Mold Busters at the ready. I think I’ve hoarded enough stock to last the 4-5 months of rain and mold! Here’s one thing that I’ve really learnt while muddling through the bloopers, the oddities and the plain frustrations – that is to laugh it off and say “Welcome to Myanmar.” After all, I could choose to dwell on my miseries, but unlike some of the expats, I don’t have a “hardship posting fee” and therefore, living here had been my choice. However, I’m blessed to say that life here is good.


Myanmar has really moved forward in more ways than one and being right in the middle of the dynamism of a country that is changing right before my very eyes is exciting indeed. I’m not here to write about whether Myanmar is taking a step in the right direction, too fast, too slow or whatever. I’m just writing about my observations and experiences.


I’ve lived through the seriously crappy internet. It’s still quite crap, but at least, the pages sometimes load now and I can send attachments most of the time. Watching YouTube is a pain-in-the-a** but I still can – only problem is I tend to use up my limited ration before the month’s up. Mobile internet is now pretty ok. I can now upload photos on FB in a jiffy on good days. Yay! What’s even better – I can now Viber and Whatsapp my family at home! Super! No longer feeling so disconnected J And guess what? Fiber optics have arrived!!! - that is if you can afford the USD7k+ installation fee.....

The cars – OMG. My travel time to work has increased from 20 minutes last year to 30 minutes 3 months later and now, anytime between 40 – 50 minutes – depending on rain, flood and road closures. Road upgrades are also taking place all over the city – but now that the rain has come, not sure if all will be right on time for the SEA Games in December. Also – the ‘Flintstone Taxis’ that I used to have to take are now hard to come by. Almost every other taxi on the road these days are brand new – with AC that works. I remember a time when the taxi drivers were still afraid and nervous to use the AC of their brand new ride. Well, not anymore.

New TV stations, new journals, new magazines, new newspapers – media outfits are raking it in, especially after the whole censorship lift last year. And what’s more – dailies are now available!!! Newspapers used to only be published on a weekly basis. But as of 1st April, a few of the publications have gotten their daily license and are now running full-steam ahead.

New venues catering to the upper-middle class and the expats are sprouting everywhere in the city too. There are now cafes and malls which makes you feel like you’re definitely not in Myanmar. What’s more? Parkson just opened and walking through the departmental store feels just like home.

On the work front, it had been slow, but rewarding nonetheless. The local team is now more ready to accept new ideas, never-been-done-before events. I executed my first ‘flashmob’ on the streets in downtown Yangon – also the first in the city – in in February. I’m hoping to do the same in the capital – Nay Pyi Taw sometime in June. We’ve launched 4 websites and 4 Facebook pages despite the questionable internet speed – thanks to Da Boss Woman who has serious vision. I mean, it really had taken me all of one year to convince the local team to start thinking – because after all, isn’t that what democracy is all about? My conversations with the local team can still be collated into a “Book of Myanmar Bloopers” and it’ll be a best-seller, I swear! Needless to say, I am still enjoying the process of learning all about what it feels like to be behind-the-scene of multiple retail formats. I’m blessed with the opportunity.

Of course, whilst I no longer have to go through 7 hours a day without electricity, the power-cuts still occur and electricity is pretty unstable especially during the summer months. And you just got to love Myanmar for her “Myanmar Moments” like right in the middle of shampooing your hair, the power goes off. Yes, in Myanmar, no electricity = no water. Or of ceiling that leaks despite the numerous Myanmar-style repair works – creating a flood situation in your apartment. Oh, I swear, I could write a whole book about these “Myanmar Moments”. But despite the “Myanmar Moments”, the journey so far had been truly amazing. And I believe, only in Myanmar, you are trained by the national Lethwei Champion & Golden Belt holder and his team for almost next to nothing. As you can tell, I'm enjoying my Myanmar boxing lessons extremely and I'm working towards my first fight in the ring! (ok - I just ROFL-ed at that statement) Myanmar had treated me and my husband really well. And in return, we’ve promised to do good by her people too.

Another big change from last year is really the underprivileged kids I have come to work with. I started with just one home and have expanded my reach (or my clone) to three homes now – with about 100+ kids in total. From a time where they had nothing to eat, nothing to wear, nothing to sleep on – they now have – sure, it’s nothing fancy and it’s not foie gras, but they’re not going to bed hungry or cold. To top it off, they are enjoying Art lessons, Music lessons, English lessons and etc. All these help with the food, the clothes, the roofs and their basic skills couldn’t have been done by me alone. And for that, I am extremely grateful to my friends in Malaysia who have pitched in their kindness and generosity to help me with the kids – be it spiritually or physically (or hovering, some might say :P). Since October 2012, every month, I’ve had groups of friends come in bringing with them boxes of clothes, stationeries and of course, wads of cash to be used for the kids. We’ve even held an ‘Empowerment Workshop’ for the older kids which aimed at helping them identify their dreams and encouraging them to go for it and we’re very excited to say that part two of the workshop will be happening end of June.

Whilst I enjoy my work, I am happiest when I am spending time with the kids. There is a feeling I cannot explain – the feeling when you see a whole group of children, wishing so much to learn and to improve their lot in life that it literally shows on their faces – how can you explain that feeling? When I see those faces, I want to try even harder to help them. Plans are under way to develop self-sustainable programmes for these kids so that they learn to stand on their own two feet, as a home and as individuals too.

Just as I teach the kids, I’m myself going through the learning process too. And I learnt this the other day : “The only thing standing between what you can do and what you cannot do is whether you want to do it or not.” So true, right?


With that, I will continue to make the best of all the blessings and opportunities given to me here in Myanmar and I will continue to do my best. Thank you, Myanmar and I hope this blessed relationship will go on for a long time to come J
 

No comments: