Friday, August 30, 2013

Birthday Wish : Starting My Mobile Soup Kitchen

And so..... the celebratory month of August continues...... here comes another birthday. Need I remind anyone that I am still young and damn bloody fit? Ok, the eyes are starting to tell-tales and I just don't know what's up with those annoying white hair, but I shall will the far-sightedness away and if I can't see the whites, they're not there :P So - Happy Birthday to me and Happy Merdeka to ... Malaysia.

It had taken awhile for me to get here - but here I am finally. At this age, it's not so much about talking and dreaming (though I still do a lot of that dreaming and building castles in the air) but it's more about putting words into action. Thus, putting more meaning to this year's birthday, I'm turning another dream into action :)

I am starting a little "Mobile Soup Kitchen".... where I will cook and distribute the food to the poor and homeless around Yangon. I intend to do this once every month and because this is just me and me alone, I won't aim for the skies - it'll only be a more realistic figure of 50 packs of rice + 1 dish for a start. As I sit and write this piece here, the BKT is simmering in the kitchen and the delicious herbal smell is wafting through the apartment (hurray - it covers the smell of the open garbage dump downstairs!!). Uh-huh - auspiciously starting my mobile soup kitchen by introducing herbal porky stuff and grilled chicken to the people of Myanmar. I don't know what's the menu like for next month, but I'll strive to do this every month - fingers crossed and all.

One may wonder why I am embarking on such a project. Well, as I said, this is a long time coming. But I'm just happy that I am able to make it happen. I suppose, being a 'greedy-for-food' person has something to do with it (God knows the number of times I had been greedy and it had landed me in hot soup - case-in-point - Myanmar :P) Despite my "healthy food days", I do love to eat and I have had the privilege of living a life where I do not know what real hunger is all about. I don't think I am a fussy-eater, but I guess, the quirks I have when it comes to eating may be deemed as fussy. No fish, but I can have fish cake :P And I'm not a gourmet meal person either. I love junk food!! If I don't impose some self-discipline onto myself, I would be snacking all day long.

Anyway, I digressed.

I am doing this because I am blessed to be able to eat to my heart's content. I may not have the luxury of feasting on abalone and caviar (eweee by the way) but I always, always, always have chilli, instant noodles and potato chips in my pantry.

And in a way, I hope to inspire others to embark on the same journey. Just imagine, for someone who isn't even a real cook to begin with and who cooks a whole week in advance for MOH - to be able to put together 50 care packages for 50 poor or homeless persons says something. And if I can do it, so can anyone else - after all, I am deemed a "barely pass" housewife :P

So, here's to a meaningful celebration for all :)

No comments: