Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I'm Not Afraid, To Take A Stand

For the last couple of weeks, my FB was filled with political updates and views from various friends and groups. Initially, I hadn't thought of coming home to vote. First of all, I just made a trip during Cheng Beng and money don't grow on trees. Second of all, work is getting a bit swamped for me back in Myanmar. Not the most perfect time to leave.

But MOH (My Other Half) and I had a talk about it and decided, we should be back for it. So, we booked our tickets and I told Da Boss Woman that "my country needs me."

So it was, I arrived late last night. Today, being Labour Day and all, I took to venturing out all the way to Ipoh on the ETS to see my Grandma. You see, I had wanted the chance to get in touch with the "elections atmosphere" on the grounds. Because after all, what I see on FB may be lopsided views or sentiments. Furthermore, I was unable to view the various YouTube videos posted. It's a "Welcome to Myanmar" factor :P (in case you're wondering, internet is painfully slow in Myanmar). And because I was trying to download these videos, I had also successfully used up all my limited GBs for the month!

Anyway, I wanted to venture out because I wanted to get a feel for myself about what's going on in my country. But I also wanted to write this piece before I zeroed in on the ceramahs as I wanted to have my own views.

What did I see or hear today? I saw 2 Singhs at the train station waiting area with a copy of the mainstream paper and they were gesturing and slapping the front page and saying "Tell them to quit-lah! Enough is enough lah!" At the coffee shops and restaurants in Ipoh that I went to today, people had the upcoming elections as their main meal. For the first time, I realized "Ini Kali-lah" wasn't just an FB propaganda :P People were actually saying it to each other. Regulars at my aunty's coffee shop came, sat around in groups and before they left, they said to one another "Remember! Ini Kali-lah!"
I saw drivers honking at those volunteers putting up the opposition flags and giving each other the thumbs up sign or a 'tabik'. I heard people voicing their upcoming glee in seeing MCA be thrown into oblivion. The two Malay chaps sitting right behind me in the train wouldn't shut-up about ABU - although admittedly, I dozed off halfway. Back in my kampong, even though the dark blue flags were seriously everywhere, the folks said "they can hang as much as they like, as long as they don't win." Just FYI, my kampong had been MCA stronghold for as long as I can remember. Many of the old folks here lived through 513 and are still somewhat in fear of it. My Grandma being one of them. But apparently, they aren't going to let that fear stop them this time. They've got children and grandchildren like me going home to tell them 513 is the dark ages.

Well, from what little I saw today, I think the rakyat wants change. I don't know. Maybe because it is something I wanted to see? Maybe I just didn't go into a BN-stronghold area? In case you don't already know, I'm supporting the Opposition. And I personally want the change. Borrowing my favourite rapper's words - "I'm not afraid, to take a stand."

Here's why I flew home to vote.

Some say the new PR coalition isn't tried and tested. They say "better the devil you know than the angel you don't." I say to hell with that. I for one, do not believe in that concept. I never had. In Myanmar, one of my key roles as a consultant for the largest local retail chain is to bring about positive changes in the marketing department. I teach the local staff to try new ideas, try new methods, take calculated risks. They are like some of the Malaysians today - afraid of the change. Afraid to let go of 50+ years of doing the same thing over and over again. So, I think 56 years of bad governance is just simply - enough. I mean, you know what they say right? "Hurt me once, shame on you. Hurt me twice, shame on me." And this is like what? 56 times over?? Don't have to go far. Think Bersih, Lynas, Teoh Beng Hock, the Great Diamond Ring, the cows. OMG. Enough!

So, I am voting in the PJU constituency. I do know Tony Pua. We've exchanged some emails. He was looking for a candidate. I wanted to pass on to him some dirt on TM :P But we're not best of friends. I have no idea who the hell is Yeo Bee Yin. I did read her profile and was impressed. Happy to know she is so passionate about what she's doing. But here's the thing, I would vote for anyone - whatever background bad or otherwise they have, as long as it isn't the incumbent party - because I think it is time for Malaysia to change. At the very worse, what could happen? 5 years of the same shit that we had lived with for 50 over years, no? That, my friends, is called calculated risk. And as I always preach to my staff - both in Cambodia and now in Myanmar - you never try, you never know.

I am indeed writing as if the Opposition will win this historical elections. But when they do win, I'd like them to know what I am voting for - 2 fundamental points (actually, I have a whole list, but that will take me all week to write them down!) and I can only speak for myself here :

1) A country that is built on racial unity and harmony
I had always spontaneously treated myself Chinese first, Malaysian second because that was how the idiot incumbent government ruled us. Second-class rights. No doubt, I have many Malay friends and some of my most cherished clients were Malays (who treated me like family, by the way), the fact remains that I grew up in an environment where merit didn't quite count. I want the new government to help all the poor, regardless of race or religion. I work with a lot of underprivileged kids both in Cambodia and Myanmar. Some are Christians, some are Buddhists, some are Kachin, some are Bahmese and so on. I don't particularly single out a certain ethnicity to work with. New government - kindly do the same please. I want the new government to reward the rakyat based on merits and not based on race or religion. I don't play football nor follow football, but perhaps it is time to look at a more racially balanced football team. Something like that, as an example. Crutches for those who need it, and not crutches for a particular racial group. Racial differences will ALWAYS exist. But I need a government who DOES NOT play up on that but instead promote what makes us similar and what makes us equal.

2) A country that is safe at every level
This is so important to me. I don't live in Malaysia, but my entire family does. I worry to death about them when I am away. And when I am back for a visit, they worry to death about me so much so that it really cramps my style. I can't run at 4am in the mornings because my Mama and Papa would have a stroke. Sure, I do think they are over-reacting, but can you blame them? After all, a running mom was recently killed by a thief. I would like the new government to address this issue immediately because if the crime rate is high and the safety issue is a major concern, I have no idea how you intend to make Malaysia a flourishing land. And I would think twice about moving back too because I love my freedom to be outdoors, to walk about without fear of being robbed or raped or whatever. The police force should be rakyat-friendly instead of the other way around. Just because they are in uniform does not give them the right to act all bullish to us rakyats. So new government - please kindly take note. This issue is important.

Basically, I want a country I can be proud of. Not because of the Lee Chong Weis or the twin towers. But because Malaysia is fast booming, fast developing, offering plentiful opportunities to both local and foreign investors, because Malaysia's education system is a great example to follow in the region (and doesn't churn out idiot lawyers who try to strangle themselves in a courtroom), because Malaysia is a great example for other nations, at least within the SEA region. I want a Malaysia who is for Malaysians and Malaysians who are for Malaysia.

Together with many other Malaysians who made the trip, I'm sure many of us who travelled are hoping that this is the one trip we can all say was "Damn Bloody Worth It" - because otherwise, not only would my airfare be a waste, it will be a tad cumbersome to move my entire business out of the country if Malaysia once again falls back to the idiot government.

With that, Pakatan Rakyat, I wish you great good luck this coming 505. Ini Kali-lah!!!

No comments: