Thursday, April 14, 2011

Traxx FM Interview

Chatting with Kong Eu live on-air
When Traxx FM invited me for an interview coinciding with my last trip back to KL, I was thrilled. But also anxious. I wasn't so sure about all these 'live' sessions because I have the tendency to either freeze or get my tongue all twisted. Then, when I proudly announced my interview to my parents, MOH, my partners and some friends - I got these responses : "What is Traxx FM?" | "Who the hell listens to Traxx FM these days??" | "Is it a new radio station?" - I was more at ease. Hahaha. So, even if I screwed up big time, the chances of people hearing it were quite low (people I know, that is). So great. And just for everyone's information, Traxx FM is on the 100.1 frequency. Start tuning in. They've got Justin Bieber on it since the Bieber Fever has practically overtaken the nation :P

Of course, I was reminded numerous time to make sure I do not wear anything that "menjolok mata" lest I get shoo-ed away by the guards. After all, we were entering RTM - government building, you know. Well, I wore my Double Happiness uniform. That should do the trick, yes? :P (Not according to my partners :P)

Anyway, well, I was pretty excited actually and Linda, the producer was extremely chirpy and bubbly that she put me right at ease. I was told the DJ - Kong Eu was new and in fact, only about a week-old on the job at the station and as a DJ. Shamefully, I was even more at ease with the fact. Why? Because it meant that if I screwed up, he will not look at me like an idiot :P This is all 'pasal jaga muka la'.... :)

This was actually my second interview with Traxx - the first one way back in ..... 2005, arranged by Kris Wong (who reads the news on Traxx!). Kong Eu was superb. He put me right at ease and it almost turned out as if I was speaking to a client who were asking questions. My interview topic was on destination weddings, something Nupts & Such specializes in. I answered general questions like
Why destination weddings (because it is oh-so-romantic!!),
How much it cost (can you really put a price tag on romance??),
My favourite locations (Bali - cos I fell in love and got married there and Langkawi),
Social norms for destination weddings (can't please everyone now, can we?)
Previous experiences with groups traveling for destination weddings (all great cos everyone was on their own holiday... !)
Destinations outside of Malaysia (Cambodia - but of course since it is a hidden gem)
and etc.. etc.....

The slot was for half and hour with songs in-between. And here's the real thrill for me - Traxx is one of the only radio stations where the music is not programmed in a playlist. SO, while we were on the discussion of my wedding in Bali, I requested for Kong Eu to play my walk-out music - MJ & Akon's Hold My Hand - since I used this song BEFORE it was even made popular commercially (and proudly announced this fact live on-air too!). And my wish was granted!!

The thirty minutes passed by too soon. I was only starting to get warmed up! One of my secret dream was to become a radio DJ. I did a small stint at the university - the Bathurst station (can't even remember what it's called) where I took the graveyard shift - for reason being that most people were asleep! - and I had been guest DJ on Mix FM before. My ... err.... DJ-ing career never took off, I guess. I even sent in an audition / demo tape to Red FM before - signing off as DJ T-Bones. (*slaps forehead and LMAO). And these types of radio interviews / shows are possibly the closest I'll ever get to becoming a DJ :P (I do sound good on air, you know!!)

Anyway, I had much fun and thank you, once again to Sal for putting me in touch with Linda and to Kong Eu for having me (by the way - I believe the myth that radio DJ's are ugly is really just that since I once had a huge crush on a DJ before and Kong Eu is cuuute!). Oh, and also - thank you to my parents who tuned in via the very old alarm clock radio at home and my partners who recorded my interview on their BBs. Woohoohoo!

So.... when can I be on-air again??

Here with Kong Eu
Posing.... !




1 comment:

carolyn said...

you should see how sibuk i am searching Traxx online. & kangrang-kabut-ly record it with my camera (end up tak jadi) & BB.. i never been so quiet & focus to listen a radio interview before.. hahhaha
you sound funny but it's really well done!! Proud of you..