Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tumble, Stitches and Coming Out One Lucky Gal

The PP Runners - missing is Robin!!
What a morning indeed! As usual - woke up for my Sunday morning runs with the PP Runners. Ok, there was nothing usual about it since I am still recovering from a viral infection and I took flu meds yesterday and got knocked out. I jumped out of bed late, but was lucky enough to catch Robin & Clem at the start of the run.

You know what? I thought I was doing quite well and I didn't even feel tired, except the cough was annoying me some. But between the talking and the pacing, I was actually feeling grrreat! And then, between being chased by dogs and avoiding cows and all, I took a huge tumble and I don't even know how, but I managed to slide across the dirt road.... and well, my knees took the brunt of it all. Left knee felt like it may have cracked (but no, no,... I don't think it did) and the right knee had a piece of flesh hanging out. When I first saw the gaping wound with all the mud and the dirt, my first thought was - HOLY F***! And I could feel the on-set of a hyperventilation :P Luckily, Robin was there (Clem had ran ahead) and she was super solid! She was so calm and so knew what to do despite being fairly new to Cambodia. We were across the Japanese Bridge in the local village and me being in denial - I suggested running back. Of course, Robin said NO. We walked for a fair bit to get to the main bridge before being able to flag down a tuk-tuk who took us to the International SOS. Best part - neither of us carried enough money to pay the tuk-tuk. But once Robin got me settled in, she took care of that and went home to bring some stuff out for me - clean clothes, snacks and water.

Of course, while lying in the clinic bed, that's when I felt so much in pain, it wasn't funny. And my gaping wound was still bleeding and I just about fainted looking at it (now, there's a reason why I never pursued forensic science :P). I was dirty and stinky and I just wanted a shower! Then, the nurse came in with this hi-tech looking device (later, I found out it was the blady blood pressure monitor :P) and that sent me into panic-frenzy. She was great though. She said "Keep calm, keep calm. This is to take your blood pressure." In between tears, I kept asking her - how bad is it? How bad is it? She said I would have to wait for the doctor to look at it. Well, she went about cleaning up all of my wounds and they were all effin' painful. She kept apologizing though and I felt bad for her! She did say I could scream all I want. Just imagine - she had to lift the flesh to clean the insides. Aaargh!!! The image of her doing that was enough to make me feel nauseated! But nope, Robin came back and I had to look cool and all that.... :P But seriously, Robin's presence made so much difference! She joked and chatted with me - I knew the deal - take my mind off the pain while the "lifting and cleaning" was being done. And then doc said I needed stitches. Haha. Tattoos, I can take. Stitches make me cry! :P Go figure. The local anesthetic - I can tell you - was REALLY MILD. And nothing was numb when the stitches started. Meanwhile, Robin was still chatting animatedly to me.

Before I knew it, stitches were all done and I was good to go. Being a stubborn-headed pig, my first question to the doctor was "Can I start training tomorrow??" Oh, so typical of any athlete! Doctor calmly smiled and said "If you can bear with the pain, sure!" Robin and Clem (who rushed over to see me with fruits and fruit juices) translated that for me - "REST YOUR BODY!!" Ok. Ok. I guess this is finally God's way of making me rest. Migraine didn't. Injured knees didn't. Flu didn't. Viral infection didn't. I guess HE thought HE had to do something far worse to get my attention :P

Ah, you may wonder - where was MOH (for the benefit of new readers : MOH = My Other Half) throughout it all? SNORING - despite the numerous phone calls Robin made to his mobile! He finally woke up and showed up in time to pick up the bill :P

Despite this tumble and the pain I am in right now - arms, fingers, palms, knees, hips... OMG - I am feeling good. Because I was lucky - NOTHING broken. How lucky is that, right? And you know what? I always pray to meet kind and compassionate people and to meet nice people in my life. Well - I found them in Robin & Clem - my running mates. You think they have nothing better to do on a beautiful Sunday morning than to see me screaming like a baby at the sight of the blood? Sure they do! But nope - they were there - right there next to me while the sutures were done (I just saw the bill and it said a 4cm suture!!!! *faint again*) - and for that - I am grateful. Look, honestly, if Robin just dumped me at the clinic - I would've been grateful too - just that, the nurse would have to deal with this cry-baby. But she came back and she has a great sense of humour. Me like. It got me through. I'm lucky too because the nurse was the kindest, the doctor was the kindest and I know they both did a great job. So, so grateful. (You know, I've had previous nightmarish stories with the International SOS!!).

And that is not all! I now escape doing any household chores!!! Wooohooohoooooo!!! MOH said I am to do nothing but rest. No sweeping, mopping, wiping, cleaning toilets, etc, etc.. (YES! I am still having problems finding a maid!!!)
So you tell me - am I lucky or not? :) So damn lucky :)

No comments: