Monday, June 28, 2010

Screwed Over

Yesterday, I found out a piece of very disturbing news. Someone whom I called a friend - and who introduces me as a friend had been doing rather unexplainable evil things. When I say evil - it isn't black magic or anything like that. It is just doing something without a conscience. The persons who told me this were, in their words - "royally screwed over" by this friend of mine. And the question then became - "how the hell can you be in business with her??"

For those of us in the business line, there will be once or twice in which we might be screwed over, whether it be by a supplier, a client (most common :P) or even your own partner. I run my businesses rather conservatively and whilst I bulldoze forward with innovative ideas or sought out a niche market - these are often calculated risks.

I had known this "friend" - and for simplicity sake, let's call her S.O. - for awhile now. Thus, I know her character, her attitude, her behaviour, but I had never known her to screw a friend over. Alas, people change, as they say. You may wonder - why was it that I believed the story of the "persons" who told me about S.O.'s evil deeds? That's because they've happened to me too - in the course of the business partnership. But remember - I take calculated risks in my businesses and I try never to put myself in a precarious position.

So "why the hell am I still in business with her?" I reflected on this question yesterday. I realized that perhaps, I've turned a blind eye to what S.O. was doing all these while and just manoeuvered my way around the 'screwing attempts' because I want to see the good in someone (plus, I'm rather skilled in the manoeuvering :P). But I think what it really was - was that, I refused to believe that someone who calls you a friend would even think of screwing another friend over! And then, I admit - I refused to believe nor admit that I had perhaps made a very wrong decision embarking on this particular business partnership.

Sometimes, I'm rather idealistic when it comes to "friends". I really don't believe a "friend" will screw you over for pittance. But apparently, they do. Hearing what happened to the "persons" who told me their story yesterday, I realize, perhaps, it is now time to open my eyes and accept, as well as admit my mistake. It seems rather clear to me that for a "friend" to be able to screw you over, that friendship is meaningless to him or her. And as such, it is rather pointless that I keep running away from this fact. But I do count my blessings that I had been smart enough to wriggle my way thus far out of any precaurious situations.

I have a number of businesses and all with different partners. I think the ruling point in any partnership is TRUST. Yes, we may all have our differences and we may have major disagreements and we may be bitchy or cross, or have PMS or different moods - but most importantly, NEVER SCREW YOUR PARTNER OVER. That's a big no-no in my books. I believe that of myself and therefore, I believe others will not do that to me. It may be a pain in the ass to adjust yourselves in the partnership, to be patient, to swallow one's pride, to synergize your strengths and weaknesses - but as long as you don't get screwed over, it's fine. I'll put up with that anytime (tiring as it may be!).

While I go lick my wounds now, I shall endeavour to keep this in mind - not to let this one mistake, affect the rest of my business partnerships that does not require me to "bend over" - and for this, I'm a million times thankful and grateful.

No comments: