Monday, April 28, 2008

The Racing Mind

There were the few familiar faces, though I wouldn't put the competition as particularly tough. But still, you never know.
It is always the excitement of racing that jolts the body awake. That call to the start line that pumps the adrenaline. Then, the pull of the trigger "Bang!" and off you go.
The wind in your face, you start, looking for a rhythm. My rhythm.
Completing a race is no longer an issue. It is achieving desired results. In this particular race, it is timing and position.
As I went through the route, what did my mind go through?
"This is not so bad."
"It's quite cooling. I hope it is a cloudy day."
"I can do this. I can get Top 10."
"There's a hill. I'm not scared. Bring it on."
"Bigger strides. C'mon, big strides."
"First water station. Ok, we can slow down for some water."
"Damn water is not cold."
"Hah! That's another person we overtook. We're looking at Top 5."
"Don't be greedy. It's only eleven kilometres. Pace yourself. Top 10 is fine."
"Why is a slow music in my 'Workout Music" folder? I need to rectify this when I get home."
"Where's that damn U-turn?"
"It must be near. Some of the runners are already making their way back from U-ey."
"Where the fuck is the U-turn?"
"This fucking hill never ends. Shit, shit, shit."
"Ok, calm down. You do hills every other day. This is small stuff."
"Oh my God. It's downhill. Let's go! Let's go!"
"Where is the fucking U-turn???"
"This guy hasn't taken a bath in years. If I don't overtake him, I'm gonna throw up from the stink. C'mon, overtake him!"
"Finally, the damn U-turn."
"There's the first lady."
"There's lady no. two."
"Three."
"Four."
"I think I'm in 5th position. That's pretty good. Let's maintain this."
"Only because the Kenyans and the Indians didn't show up."
"If they did, I'd probably settle for 10th place."
"Maybe not even 10th place. Maybe Top 15th, like the Orange Run."
"If this road doesn't end soon, I'm going to scream."
"I really am going to scream. It's driving me nuts!"
"Holy crap, look at that hill."
"You can do it. It's a piece of cake."
"We'll sprint up the hill and then we'll bring our heart rate down after that."
"I have 20 more minutes to do the last five kilometres if I want to keep my personal best."
"One kilometre in 5 minutes. 5 kilometres in 25 minutes."
"Ok, slow down. Slow down. Your heart rate is shooting off the roof."
"Dear legs, please don't fail me now. I promise to be good to you."
"Pain, please go away."
"I need to get back before the sun comes out in full vengeance. I don't want funny tan lines."
"My shoes are wet. But this shoes are great. It doesn't seal the water in. Well worth the money."
"Fourth and last water station. I'm near. Let's have a drink."
"It's the last kilometre. Let's run for my life. It ends after and you can rest."
"Where am i?"
"THANK GOD! Thank God! There's that finish line!"
"And yes!! 5th place. I was correct!!"
"Not a great win. Would never have done it if the Kenyans and Indians were here."
"I still did my personal best."
"Fuck, i need a drink badly."
"Where's my other half?"
"What's taking him so long?"
"I hope he's ok."
"The sun is freaking hot. Where IS he?"
"Oh! There he is! C'mon baby!"

And with that, another race in the pocket.
Next up - A Famosa Triathlon.

3 comments:

Salina said...

really like it. also the kissing pix!!! sungguh romantis berasmaradana by the beach... :):):)

as for the blog, keep it going. like the one on the football too. totally agree with you.

Gianluca Ricozzi said...

Ehi, fine your blog...Gianluca.

Daren said...

Nice description of your train of thought. Sounded like it was tough. I think you did great!