Monday, April 28, 2008

Making A Stand For The Wrong Cause

I am no football fan. I've been explained a million times what an "offside" means and how an "offside" is called and it swooshes past my brains. I don't get the idea of twenty-two grown men chasing after a ball.
By the same token, I am not interested in the Israel-Palestinian issue except bits and pieces of history which always ties back to images of massive bloodshed and irrevocable loss of lives.
I don't believe in war.
I don't believe in repression.
I don't believe in irresponsible loss of life.
It doesn't matter who is wrong or who is right.
It doesn't matter who is trying to re-write the wrongs of history.
All that happens really is innocent lives are affected. Greatly. And nobody wants to take responsibility.
But this is not about war.
This is about the shamefully narrow-mindedness of the people of Malaysia. Well, some people of Malaysia.
I heard Chelsea FC is coming to Malaysia. I also heard two people on the entourage are Israelis. Israelis are not allowed to enter Malaysia. Why? Because Malaysia greatly opposes to the occupation of Palestinian land by the Israelis.
But are we talking about war? No.
We're talking about football. Maybe it is some form of war as two opposite teams meet on the battle "field" and fight to win some title (again, twenty-two grown men running after a ball.. and their egos). However, from what little knowledge I have about football, I realised that if every real war were to be fought the way football is played, there would be less bloodshed.
Why? Because football unites people. You have Israelis, Russians, English, Korean, African, etc.. work together on the same team, for the same objective. They forget colour and creed. They only remember to chase the bloody ball. And hopefully score. If someone's family passes away, the entire team, despite race or religion, wears black arm bands as a sign of respect. Football, above anything else.
So, why is it that these group of some Malaysian people are against the two Chelsea FC players entering Malaysia? Just because they are Israelis? Why? Are they here to give political sermons? Are they here to win support for Israel? Are they here to incite hatred for the Palestinians? No. They are here simply to chase the bloody ball around the field and hopefully score. They want to play football. Please forget the fact that they were born in Israel, by no choice of theirs.
I know Malaysia made a stand regarding the Israel-Palestinian issue. But as I said - we're not talking about Israel and Palestine here. We're talking about Chelsea FC and football.
I don't really care about football.
But I care when people try to rule with a narrow-mind.
Narrow-mindedness is what causes war to prolong.

1 comment:

Daren said...

You're right of course, this isn't about war. But unfortunately alot of times national pride supercedes common sense or fairness... Malaysia's ex PM is a prime example. You're not alone in your frustration.