Saturday, December 31, 2016

Reflecting on 2016..... #BringItOn2017

My first tri after a 3-yr hiatus! I was paparazzi ready yo! 
Can you believe it? It's the last day of 2016! Can you believe it? I just cleaned out the cobwebs from my blog - AGAIN! 😛😛

Some may be bidding farewell to 2016 on a high, some may be bidding farewell to 2016 on a low. But one thing for sure, we will carry forward with us memories from the last year with us moving ahead.

I usually like to take the time to reflect on what I had done in the year and where I would or should be headed for in the coming year.

2016 had certainly flown past, all at once, I feel in a daze - like FML - it's the last day - what had I done that made a difference this year? But upon reflection, I did a lot actually.

Let's just say, work-wise, I've increased my hours, my days - MOH loves going around telling people that my full-time job is working part-time. I am still consulting for CMHL although I had expressed my wish to leave.... I am consulting for a couple of other start-ups, I am still teaching at Strategy First, I am still teaching my fit classes at 2 gyms here in Yangon... basically, all my available time-slots are taken up. Yet - I am still trying to carve out more time slots to accommodate more stuff that I want to do. That has always been my habit - I like my plate full. Not because I'm not focused, but simply because staying idle makes me feel rather useless. Why not take on a full-time job? Noooooo... I'm enjoying part-timing too much and it works out because I am able to pursue all my passion projects!

I think one of the biggest "wins" for me in 2016 was stepping back a bit on the SoyAi project and watching the boys fly. Sure, they've stumbled a bit, we've all stumbled a bit at the start of the new arrangement but they've had more wins this year compared to 2 years ago when we first started. 2017 will be the 3rd year that the project is running. Every time I see a win for the boys, my heart swells with pride. I cannot even describe the feeling and the emotions I went thru pulling them up this mountain when we first took that jump. But seeing them try, seeing them fly made it all worth it. I pray everyday that they continue moving forwards and continue flying and they will in turn make a difference in their country and for the people of Myanmar. 💓💓💓💓

This year also saw me being more involved with the ASEAN Women Entrepreneur Network and through the network, I've also launched another passion project - this time tackling a really large issue - sexual abuse and domestic violence against women. Sometimes, I don't know why I have this thing about wanting to save the world. This is a huge issue to tackle and frankly, I don't even know where to begin. To change mindsets as well know it is one of the hardest thing to do at the start. I've put together a team of superwomen to make sure the "Women 4 Women" project takes off in 2017 as we look at all possible angles on tackling the cultural and societal stigma surrounding this issue. May the force be with us. 💪💪💪

6 months ago, together with MOH, we also launched the Mobile Soup Movement here in Yangon. It's just a bit of money coming out from our monthly income to go into preparing 100 care packages each month to be distributed to the needy. I've always felt very blessed to have more than I need in my life. And the one thing I cannot stand is to see people hungry. So, I hope that this small, humble gesture would make a difference to people who need them care packages. No matter how small a difference, I hope it brings some cheer somehow. Well, at least this is motivation enough to keep me working hard and earning my keeps! ✌✌

On the business front - the humble spa I opened with my local partners have expanded to one more branch and moving forward, we hope to expand further. 2017 would also see me potentially starting another new business venture here in Myanmar and I know me and my other local partners have been really, really tardy about working on this one, but you know - it's really time to make it happen! You can all stay tuned to know what's brewing, eh?

I also launched my first non-fiction book in 2016! Together with my partner who co-authored the book with me, it was a 2-year project and to see it come alive was a really, really big deal. Being one of the pioneers in the event and wedding industry in Malaysia, this book sums it up for us in a lot of way. I would like to say a humble, humble thank you to my partner / co-author who really pushed for everything to happen when I lost hope. Partnerships need to be like that - you need to know your partner's got your back and you know damn well you've got theirs. With the book, it is also time to consider retiring from the industry while I am on a high. I always knew there was a time limit to this career. Don't get me wrong, I still have a lot of passion for MARCOMs, events, branding, etc. But when it comes to event - unfortunately, age does play a huge role. You can't run back-to-back events and survive 72 hours without sleep just on adrenaline 😩😩😩

On the fit-front, I competed in my first triathlon again after a 3-year hiatus and I still came up in the Top 10 - which was more than I could ask for considering my multiple injuries. I suffered a crazy swollen tissue problem in February of 2016 and I haven't done a single 21km since.... I have now worked back to a 10km run but my time is really slow. I also have sciatica, knee problems and tennis elbow to top it all off. It is a bit sad for me, but I still keep training and keep pushing everyday. MOH on the other hand, having recovered from his knee surgery last year is suddenly all into triathlons and will be competing almost every month! 😑😑

I didn't get any holidays in this year to go anywhere except 2 weeks ago when I went to Loikaw, north of Myanmar for a really short trip upon MOH's insistence. And boy, did I not regret it. The people there were super-friendly, super nice, the weather was delicious at 13 degrees, making my morning runs extra awesome. I have never seen fresh - so fresh at the fresh wet market! I was just super-delighted! Yangon can get to you at times you know, with the traffic and the crowd and the stifling weather. Every time I travel to a different part of Myanmar and meet new people and new culture, I renew my love for this country. There is so much good and kindness here and not to mention, so much beauty too. I really don't know when I will have to bid farewell to this place but for now, I am calling it my home. 💕💕💕

Personally, I continue to coach as many young and hopeful minds here in Myanmar through what I do. I always tell my charges that my doors are always open. Reach out whenever they need. And I will try my best if not we will try together. My methods are generally rather unorthodox and it ain't really for those with a weak stomach. Well, those with weak stomachs would run far away from me, that's for sure! 😁😁😁

What are my plans for 2017 exactly? Actually, I have no plans! LOL. I lived by this all of 2016 :

"When you get, GIVE. When you learn, TEACH." I will continue doing the same for 2017 and strive to do it better. As I grow older, I realized more and more how true it is that it is not so much in the planning and targets but it is really all about the journey. The words you live by and you practice and the difference you make while you journey through this thing called life.

I am not just thankful for a blessed 2016. I am thankful each and everyday that I am surrounded by love from so many facets of my life - especially from MOH and my family. Their love and support has held me up as high as I am today. For that, I am so, so, so grateful. Their love and belief in me makes me continuously wake up to strap on my combat boots and battle it out another day. I am thankful too that their lives have been filled with so much joys and laughter. Not kidding - each and everyday, I am grateful for this.

Life will always have its ups and down. Life will also always have the moments where you want to smile and laugh at every little thing. Life will have moments where you want to stick your middle finger up at everything and everyone (particularly the drivers in Yangon!) I don't claim to know what life will throw at me. I don't even claim to be prepared. I just pray everyday that I find peace, tenacity, faith, courage and wisdom. And I pray too that no matter what, I will always look for the good.

With that, I wish all of my loved ones, friends near and far, people I hold dear in my heart that you will too always look for the good and you are all always, always in my prayers.

Have a bangin' one y'all! #BringItOn2017 😎😎😎😎😎

No comments: