Thursday, March 15, 2012

Goodbye Cambodia... Hello....

After 4 years of living in the Kingdom, it is finally time to move on. Ok, admittedly, whilst we always knew a day would come for us to leave this place, this move was a rather unexpected one - and happening very soon at that!

So, therefore, in the middle of rushing projects, there's also the harrowing rush of planning - yes, making plans for future days ahead, the rush of tying up lose ends, handovers and not to mention the nightmare of packing and moving.... our junk. It doesn't look to me like there would be time to unwind in the Kingdom and say bye-bye to all my favourite things here. Cambodia had been a pot of bittersweet memories, I believe rightly so for both MOH and myself. But I can't write on MOH's behalf. This is all about me, me and me. There had been real hell and then, there's been all these hidden gems too. So what would I miss the most when I leave? Hmmm...

Business-wise, since day 1, I've always been prepared for a day where I will need to leave and therefore my local team had always been trained (Hell's Kitchen-like) to run the business without me. Just that, I'll probably have to up the ante over the next couple of months! I suppose with businesses running here in da Penh, this isn't really a "goodbye" Cambodia. I foresee that I will be in and out pretty often - at least for the remainder of the year. If you asked me, I believe my team can do it without me now. My only worry is that without 'Gordon Ramsey' pushing them,.... they might slack. Well, we'll cross this bridge when we get there!

Me and My Mango Rain Boys...


So, what would I miss in Cambodia? To be honest, I can't say I had the great experience of falling in love with this country. There was a lot of love-and-hate going on. It can be very trying at times. But Cambodia also happens to be the place where I realized "where I belong" and "what I want to do with my life". Ok, yes, this realization could happen anywhere, just that I was in Cambodia. Haha.

I guess I would miss the convenience of being in such a tiny city! Even sitting in traffic meant that you get anywhere within 15 minutes. I would miss the kind and gentle coffee man at the Russian Market. Most of you who've come visited us here would also have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Bonnareth - the best ice coffee in Phnom Penh :) If I were to describe what a true Cambodian is like - Mr. Bonnareth would be it. His sincerity, his generosity (you order an iced coffee for USD0.75 and you get an extra espresso shot!) and his warm and friendly smiles. On days where Cambodia gets a bit much, it's nice to go pay him a visit. Besides, his coffee really gives you a buzz. A strong buzz.
The Best Iced Coffee in Da Penh!

I would miss my current landlady. We moved in here September 2010 - having had really bad luck with our previous 2 landladies, Madame was truly a kind soul. In fact, it was around this time that I had wanted to call it quits in Cambodia but Madame showed us kindness and hospitality like no one had here. I don't know if it was the feng shui of this place or simply because I had embraced and embarked on my spiritual journey, or perhaps, both... but since Madame welcomed us into her building, things have gone from zero to hero (ok, a bit far-fetched, but you get my drift). Every other day, she would pop by the apartment and come bearing fruits and vegetables from her orchard. On days where she sees me looking stressed and tired, she would insist I went into her house and she would make me eat. In fact, just a couple of days ago, she came armed with cushions! She said she noticed our cushions were... how shall I say, "not cushions anymore" so she brought some for us as replacements. I don't think I have ever, ever met a landlady as kind, as warm and as generous as she is. She also always praise MOH and myself for keeping our place so spotlessly clean without a maid. She says, "You all very good. No need maid. But your house is very clean. I like it." Oh, Madame, you have no idea how much I like it too! Hahaha! Now, I have the burden of sorting out our rental with her. I am going to hate doing that.


Madame and Uncle

But I think over and above all else, the one thing that I would miss the most in Cambodia would be all the children at Happy Tree. For the past 4 years, I had seen them grow and just when I began to get more involved with them..... I have to leave! I think this would be the most heart-breaking part of the move :( I don't know what to tell the children. As it were, when I don't show up for a week, the children asks the staff about my whereabouts. How do I tell them that I would be gone for a long time before I see them again? I haven't finished teaching them all the art stuff I learnt in school (and I just bought new stuff for them too!). I haven't finished with the ABCs. Basically, I HAVEN'T FINISHED. Honestly, I don't know how to deal with this part of the leaving. I can almost here them say "Oh, it's so easy for you to just leave!" OMG. I want to tell them that it's not. It's not easy at all for me to leave. I want to tell them that they are all always in my prayers, every single day. I want to tell them that I will be back for visits. I want to tell them so many things. But the one most important thing I want to tell them is, I want to tell them that I promise them that I will stay true to my commitment to them, one way or other. I realized that even though I may not be physically available, there are other ways and means in which I can help them to help themselves. That is a promise. (again, have to thank all my friends and loved ones back home who have supported me with these kids. Their days are made better by your kindness!). But still, it does not make the separation any harder. I'd cry buckets on my last visit. :(

(taking a moment to regain my composure....)

The Happy Tree Children - I will miss them dearly :~(

In any case,.... thank you Cambodia for the experience - both good and bad. MOH and I are truly blessed to have had this opportunity and also the opportunity of experiencing it together. In fact, our marriage started here in da Penh. So thank you, thank you, thank you for a blast!


MOH and I at one of our Friday Date Nights :)

As to where I am headed to next....... well, looks like you'll just have to stay tuned to my next blogpost, wouldn't you? ;)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Aww!!! I understand....having just left a place I loved for a place id never been to. My heart is still broken.... But thankfully I am also enjoying my new life. Very bitter sweet, all of it! Good luck with your next chapter in life :-)