Thursday, July 9, 2009

Been Awhile....

I only just noticed that my last post before today was December 2008. It had been awhile indeed. I never knew people (by people, I mean the one or two friends I have :P) actually check-in on my blog to see if I have anymore updates. Until one of them told me today that I haven't updated my blog.

It's not that I don't have anything to say. I have plenty to say. All these words in my head, all the thoughts in my mind.... but I lack the time to craft a piece worthy enough of blog attention. (So, basically, I'm ranting on here just because I can.... and I feel / felt guilty about leaving things hanging since December '08..... now that it's been pointed out to me).....

What's been happening? Long story short - I've launched a new business in Cambodia and working my ass off on it....... (you will understand when you read my earlier posting on Cheap & Good).... trying to adjust to Cambodia (still! eventhough 15th July would mark my first year anniversary of returning to Cambodia for my second "tour")..... going to launch another company here in Khmer land...... also working my ass off on that one (why does everything require me to work my ass off???) .... lost my compassion for humanitarian work and regained it after my dearest pop idol Gone Too Soon....... (and it's been a bit ... sad - more on that below).... so, have taken my first tiny step in trying to start a "youth centre"........ empowering the youth of Cambodia to do something about their lives..... not to mention, i have a wedding around the corner and I don't exactly feel like a bride - I'm not sure whether it is because I've always viewed it with much nonchalance or I've just been too busy and overwhelmed with work to get into the whole mode of it.... or what? really, I don't know. I know that I felt a bit ..... "what the hell??!" when my fitting lasted all of 5 minutes and none of my girlfriends were with me to give the designer hell (Kris - i love you and you're the best)...

Speaking of Michael Jackson - I've always been a great fan.... and I remember how when I first watched Beat It (the video which started my idolization of MJ)...... my brother and I would imitate his every move, down to the ankle-length pants and one-hand glove..... it was crazy! We even managed to get hold of step-by-step instructions on how to do the moonwalk....... MJ was awesome and we continued to grow up listening to his music, watching his performances / video...... I was upset when my parents didn't allow me to go for the MJ HIStory concert back in 1996..... damn... I will never get another chance now...... the thing was.... we grew up knowing the black MJ and the white MJ....... while I could never understand his eccentricities, at the same time, I do understand that somebody who can't even walk into Starbucks to get his own coffee cannot possibly lead a normal life. What I do know is that a lot of MJ's work had inspired me - even from a young age - to "lend a helping hand"............. When I first heard news of his passing, I was shocked and just didn't want to believe it...... but after facing the reality of it and accepting it..... I reminisced all the great videos, songs, concerts that had been in my collection.... and watching Man In The Mirror again re-inspired me to really do something - which propelled me to take that tiny step toward my youth centre. Big dreams indeed.... but..... porportionate work needed. I shall hold fast to my determination to make it materialise.

Before I end my hurried entry - I hope MJ may RIP now that he has found it. I wish the media would stop hounding him and stop reporting on his family, the custody / will battles, his children, his autopsy.... he's GONE. Leave him be. We need to celebrate his life and remember the good times his work had given us. The laughs that we had when we all tried to moonwalk like him. For me - long before he passed on - my other half would always do a poor imitation of Michael to make me laugh when he had just made me angry. And it never fails. MJ - thank you for the good times.

I don't know how this entry came to be paying tribute to MJ - but that's how it is when you're ranting. Your music lives forever in our hearts. And "I'm starting with the (wo)man in the mirror". Peace.

No comments: