Monday, June 2, 2008

Midnight Marathon

It was my first full marathon. Coinciding also with the first ever night marathon held in Singapore, in this region.
So, after one week of carbo-loading, gulping down isotonic and staying off junk food, fried food and sugar-coated food, it is D-Day.

As usual, doing such a physically demanding sport really does test one's mental endurance. With each race that I take, I believe more and more - the mind makes you or breaks you.

"Let's start here, at the <4:30 point. Haha. Why not be a little more 'kiasu' and start at the <3:30 point?"
"Oh, the emcee is counting down!"

Bang! Race starts...

"Oh man... this sucks! The path is too narrow for so many people!"
"Ok, we gotta aim to do 1:07 for each 10k."
"That way, we would complete 42k in let's see, 1 x 4 = 4 hours."
"7 x 4 = 28 minutes."
"That's 4 hours 28 minutes. Plus another 10 minutes for the 2km"
"That would bring us to 4:38."
"That's ok, no?"
"A little too ambitious for first marathon, no?"
"Uncle Tai said to take it easy. I better listen less I regret it."
"So, slow pace. Yes, slow pace. Take it easy."
"I'm glad he's here next to me."
"I hope he can last the 42k by my side."
"It's a good thing it stopped pouring."
"Nice breeze."
"Oh! Water station already! Let's drink!"
"Some bloody a**hole spilt water on my shoes! Aaargh!"
"Now my shoe is wet even before we're at 10k!"
"I feel like kicking that idiot's balls."
"Ok, it wasn't his fault. It was an accident."
"It's actually pretty cold out here, the breeze."
"Haha! That guy has "Touch My Body" on his iPod."
"Stop making me laugh!" (verbally telling my other half who is doing an imitation of Mariah Carey)
"I'm just glad my stupid iPod wannabe is working."
"I wonder how far before it dies out."
"Considering the battery no longer charges."
"Water station again! No, don't need water this time."
"Ouch.... fuck, fuck.... fuck."
"Why am I having stitches on my sides?"
"Dammit!"
"Ok, breathe. Slow down."
"It's not even 10k!"
"Just slow down. Take it easy, remember?"
"Heart rate is ok."
"Everything is ok. Why am i having the cramps?"
"Very irritating."
"Oh, it is 10k!! Shit! very slow time. 1:10."
"Let's do a faster pace."
"Oww.. no... can't. Shit Shit Shit."
"Breathe."
"I'm very pleased with my boots purchased today!"
"it's a steal, at $20!"
"Can't wait to do more shopping."
"It's the GSS. Can't miss out."
"I have 30 more minutes to go before I spot Ruben."
"I wonder if he would have a banner."
"I wonder if his wife is tagging along."
"I hope she is so he won't be bored."
"It's so nice of him to come."
"He's crazy."
"Tomorrow, I am going to eat that Peanut Pancake i saw."
"Mmm..Yummy."
"Ok, i'm gonna eat my first PowerGel."
"Don't like this flavour. Banana and strawberry? Ewe."
"I'm saving my chocolate flavours for later."
"Did they say they would have a PowerGel station for us?"
"Oh man... just only 16k...!"
"I can smell the sea."
"I don't know what those idiots were writing about when they reviewed the race route."
"Nice scenery it seems. You can't see shit in the dark!"
"Yes, you seriously can't see shit in the dark. Can't see the water, can't see the beautiful greens or whatever they said was visible."
"What morons."
"We're almost reaching.. "
"Ruben said he'll be at the isotonic station."
"Are we there yet?"
"It's 18k only!"
"Shit! No more music!"
"Stupid iPod wannabe!!!"
"How am i supposed to last the next 36k without music??"
"Just keep running. Steady pace."
"Ruben! Ruben! There is Ruben!"
(waving madly, forgetting to preserve energy.)
"Pose for photograph."
"I can't believe he really came!"
"Oh, oh... people are already U-turning!"
"I will not be deceived this time. The U-turn must be very far away cos I'm very far behind!"
"Why are there always U-turns at races??"
"Oh, my damn stitches aren't going away and my legs are starting to cramp!"
"How am I supposed to last 42k?"
"Why is he going so fast??"
"Keep up, Eileen. Keep up."
"Oh man..... "
"He won't be able to last if he does this pace."
"Slow down. Your cramps are getting worse."
"24km."
"Where's Ruben?"
"Oh there he is!"
"He's helping out the water station people!"
"That's so cool of him!"
"Yes, these kids need some organizing!"
"I have to say, this isn't as well-organized as the Singapore marathon."
"Why are we running through people's back lanes?"
"I don't like this route. It is not on the roads. It is on some pavement."
"It is narrow."
"It is just irritating."
"He's not keeping up with me."
"He just blew me kisses for me to go forth."
"He's so sweet."
"I'll see him at the finish line."
"My legs are in so much pain right now."
"Let's hurry the pace. I don't want to prolong the pain."
"Overtaking! Overtaking!" (verbally shouting)
"I don't get these Singaporeans. They want to walk, and they walk on the right side."
"Morons."
"Don't they know not to hog the road?"
"Aargh! My legs are killing me!"
"PowerGel. Chocolate. This works. This works."
"It's great to be able to litter in Singapore right now."
"Just throw your empty PowerGel pack wherever."
"I should've gotten the jelly beans from Hivelocity the other day."
"I can't wait to shop at Vivo. I hope I get some pretty good deals on Mizuno shorts."
"We have 4 hours to shop before the bus."
"That should be more than enough time."
"You've gotta be fucking kidding me. The overhead pedestrian bridge?!!"
"I can't believe i have to climb stairs??!"
"My legs! Move!!"
"2 steps at a time... arrgh.. can't."
"Ok. Ok. 1 step at a time."
"C'mon legs. Keep going."
"I really hate this route."
"I don't understand. I just don't understand."
"My heart rate is so fine, I know I can push further."
"But my legs hurt like hell."
"What could be the damn problem??"
"Not enough strength training?"
"Damn, damn, damn."
"What happened to the damn distant markers?? Did i miss them?"
"Excuse me, do you know how far we've done?" (verbally asking someone)
"30 clicks."
"Fuck. Only 30 clicks??!" (verbally responding)
"Keep going, Eileen."
"Knees. Lift the knees."
"Remember? Use core muscles."
"Let the abs share some burden."
"I never knew that such a part can hurt so much."
"My hips are hurting!"
"Why?"
"I'm going crazy with this pain."
"32k."
"I have another 10ks to go."
"I have 1 hour to do this."
"I don't think I can do it in 1 hour."
"This is so much pain."
"I'm NOT going to walk. I promise."
"Only at the drink stations, we'll walk while drinking."
"Ok, we'll do this one water station at a time."
"Why is everyone walking??"
"Should I walk?"
"NO! No walking!"
"Keep going!"
"It is true when they say the mind is willing but the body is not."
"My heart rate is so absolutely fine, I know I am not pushing it."
"My legs are like dying out on me."
"There is so much pain."
"And the blisters are annoyingly painful too!"
"My legs feels like they want to disconnect from my entire body!"
"I want him with me."
"I shouldn't have left him behind!"
"If I am in so much pain, it must be worse for him."
"I hope he's ok."
"Please let him be ok."
"Dammit. I shouldn't have left him behind."
"Oh, I miss him."
"Fuck, this pain is fucking painful."
"You gotta keep going."
"Don't stop."
"Just focus, Eileen. Stay focused."
"Breathe, and keep eyes on the road."
"I don't want to do the fucking hill they reviewed."
"I dread that hill. I don't think my legs can make it."
"That is supposed to be the dreaded hill."
"Fuck, Eileen. I can't."
"I just wish my legs would just be numb."
"Like he said - the body should just take note of the pain and forget about it."
"Be numb."
"Am I going delirious?"
"I feel like crying."
"The pain is overwhelming."
"How do they fucking do 84ks?"
"Is that madness?"
"How am I supposed to do the Ironman?"
"I don't think I'll ever do the Ironman."
"OH MY FUCKING GOD. IT is only 38k."
"I won't make sub 5."
"I just need to finish."
"I cannot stop. I must finish."
"I cannot walk. C'mon legs."
"Keep going, Eileen."
"Only 4 more klicks."
"I feel like I've ran 2 fucking clicks and still I don't see the distant marker!"
"I don't see how we would be shopping for 4 hours after this."
"Not to mention lugging the baggage around."
"Gotta figure that one out."
"I can't think of that right now."
"This fucking pain is the only thing on my mind."
"Dammit."
"Ya right. I don't see YOU running." (mentally telling off one of those roadies that cheer you on)
"I'm in such a foul mood now."
"Do everyone in pain have a foul mood?"
"Fuck. Fuck. Fuck."
"Last 2ks. Let's sprint."
"I think the hill is at the last 2ks then. Didn't go through it before."
"C'mon legs! The slower you are, the longer you will prolong the pain!!"
"Fuck, sprint, c'mon!"
"Run. Just run."
"Don't give up."
"It's the fucking last 400m."
"Please keep going."
"Keep running."
"I hate this route! It is so annoying!"
"God damn this pain!"
"Fuck. Oh my God."
"There we go! Finish line!"
"Thank God! Thank FUCKING God!"
"Aaaahhhhhh.................."
"Oh Fuck."
"I finished."

5:19. And there was no hills.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

CONGRATES!!!!! CRAZY!!!!

Unknown said...

U have ur blog, i have my pixlog see here: http://forum.ipoh.com.my/showthread.php?t=7553

Wandernut said...

COOOOL! :)
I haven't been running since the GE30km. I actually miss feeling the pain. Hahaha!

I'm moving to Shanghai next week. Joining O&M. Plan to start running again and aim for my first 42k at the Shanghai Marathon in November.

If you feel like running 42k in late autumn brrrr weather, let me know! :D Can bunk at my place.

Wandernut said...

Oh, in case you think I'm a random stalker, it's Wei Na.

Jacqie said...

I have so much respect for you! I almost died doing 21km before. A random fellow blogger :) (aka Ruben's friend from Miri :)

Salina said...

kamu ni memang minah gila.

a cool minah gila, anyways!