Friday, May 9, 2008

My Freedom

I don't claim to be a true blogger. To begin with, I still don't really understand what a blog is. It is... I suppose, a space in cyber.
And I'm not one of those political analyst who had just jumped into the blog-wagon.
I just wanted a "space" where I can vent, whether anger, or passion and hopefully, it is read. Maybe even by a stranger who might then tell me something, anything. A response. I want to be able to vent, without fear - of being judged, being prosecuted, and oh, of course, without being thrown rotten eggs at.
Today, I'm greatly disturbed. I always am when I happen to pick up a copy of the newspaper. I constantly remind myself - forget about the news. But I did it today. I picked up the newspaper and absent-mindedly glanced at the headlines. And so now, I am angered.
I don't know if my anger has any basis. Because, like I said, I am not a political analyst. I don't follow news that much. Only whenever I "accidentally" pick up the bloody newspapers.
There's this hoolabaloo going on about lodging police reports against seditious remarks by a certain "lion". And there are groups for and against the action.
I don't fucking get it.
I thought we already had a prominent blogger in the shithole.
And now, more police reports.
I'm angry. Greatly angered that I've had to pay shitload of money for my income tax (by the way, which I just submitted online and paid) to some government whose "limited" police resources is concentrated on catching political enemies.
I was training on my usual 10k route yesterday morning. I was nearly mowed down and might have been raped or robbed or both by a moronic biker who was riding without headlights. Now, it was dark. So, you understand my concern. Are you saying that by running at 6am in the morning, I was "asking for trouble"? Why should I be paying taxes just so I can run at a "safer hour"? Where is my freedom to train for my races whenever I like? It's not like I am the police force - nothing better to do. I have to train and then I have to work. So, I have 6am to train. I won't even talk about the time my cycling group was attacked by a group of motorcycle gangsters (they call them the mat rempits).
I want the police to patrol religiously at all areas so that law-abiding, tax-paying citizens like myself can be safe.
Not to be catching bloggers or politicians who aren't even threatening an iota of my life!
I don't pretend to know what is going on politically. I don't. I do think it is all very much like a B-grade cartoon if you're looking in from the outside. (now you know why i lose interest with our domestic scene)
But what I read today is just a ridiculous waste of time and resources. For crying out loud, we have people dying in Myanmar! Why are we fighting over "he said, she said"?
Angers me to know ..... we have such narrow-minded people in authority.
As I have said before - narrow-mindedness prolongs suffering.
And you know what?
I will be leaving this country.
But there is one problem that I fear when I am overseas :
To admit that I am from Malaysia.
I would have to cringe with embarrassment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with u.... :)

In the meantime, pls have a buddy training wit u.

I'm oso gettin sick n tired of idiots on the roads.